tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 19 11:15:01 1995

Re: Reopening CVC

According to [email protected]:

> jatlh = CVC j, a, tlh
> wI' = CVC w, I, '
> 'a' = CVC ', a, '
>
> I have only added the symbol D to indicate dipthongs.
>
> peHruS

Clearly, it is mostly a matter of terminology. I see it as:

CV
CVC
CVCC where CC = rgh, w' or y'

As it happens, no syllables follow {o} or {u} with {w}, though
this combination can come between syllables. {bowIv}. As Okrand
describes it, a {w} is implied by any syllable ending in an
open {o} or {u}, and so adding one would be indistinguisable
from having it missing. Since the spelling is phonetic (unlike
English), putting on the redundent character doesn't make sense.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \