tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 13 14:04:45 1995

a message that just missed the list before it switched back

(I had asked on the sentence structure of "you play like a terran", I
recieved numerous responses, and this reply just missed the list by probably
hours)

>It's important not to think of "rur" or "parHa'" as meaning "like" and
>wondering why t doesn't look like English.  You should >NOT< translate
>words.  Klingon doesn't HAVE an equivalent to "like" the preposition in
>English.  It just ain't there.  So the senetnces we have mean things like
>"Wwhen you play, you resemble a Terran."  So in the second part of the
>sentence, "resemble" is the verb and "terran" is the object (you resemble
>the terran).  In Klingon, verbs follow their objects and precede their
>subjects, right?  So that's why the order goes that way.

 Thank you, that is what I had in mind for help. Thanks!  I think what one
of my biggest problems is, is that I'm in too big of a hurry, just because
I've been reading the list for a while now, doesn't mean I should know
tlhIngan Hol like alot of you "old timers" so to speak, I should just take
my time regardless of how long it takes, I've realized with this last
question that no matter how basic my questions are, no matter how long I'm
on the list, there are always people willing to help.

thanks everyone,

Jim
[email protected]

Back to archive top level