tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 28 21:38:58 1995

Re: TLHINGAN-HOL digest 311

MR PAUL J COFFEY writes:
>     Or is it  rIpwI' -> councilor  and  rIpwI'wI' -> my councilor  }}:)

Smiley or no, {rIpwI'} cannot mean "councilor", whatever that is, because
"council" IS NOT A VERB.  {rIp} is a NOUN; thus, {rIpwI'} can only mean
"my council".

>     If the council is composed of beings capabnle of speech wouldn't that
>mandate -wI'?

Not necessarily.  When a group of people form a committee, I grant that
the committee can "speak."  But arguments can be made either way regarding
some groups; a crowd, for instance, or a boarding party.  I think that in
this particular case, a council as a whole can be considered to speak.

>  In which case:
>          a councilor  =  rIpwI'

You're continuing your error.  There is no word "councilor" in this sense.

>          my council   =  rIpwI'
>     and of course:
>          my counsel   =  qeSwIj

As long as you're at it, you shouldn't forget the one that DOES work.
           my counselor =  qeSwI'wI'