tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 28 21:22:49 1995

Colors? What colors?

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Jarno Peschier wrote:

> I wrote a simple text editor for Windows.  All the menus, dialog boxes,
> help messages, and any other random text internal to the program, is in
> tlhIngan Hol.  It's very similar to Notepad, but it supports multiple
> documents.

     Heartened by that success on the PC-side, I considered what could be done
on the Mac side. I don't have a good programming environment, so I copied the
SimpleText text editor and sicced the Happy Clown Head of Death (known to laymen
as ResEdit) on it.

     All the program's resources were laid out before me, and all I had to do
was change the names of the menu items and the texts in the dialog boxes.
Unfortunately, the first (and last) menu I tried translating was the color menu,
because I knew I'd have the most trouble with it:

Colors
  Black        qIj
  Red          Doq
  Green        SuD
  Blue         SuD
  Cyan         SuD
  Magenta      Doq [?]
  Yellow       SuD
  ---------------------------
  Other...     *color* pIm...

     Magenta in the Mac's case is a plummier kind of red which I think is red
enough for the Klingon definition. That's why I qualified it as a *Doq* instead
of a *SuD*.
     Ah well, the best-laid plans... For that matter, what is the word for
"color"? Not that I expect it to come up much, since the only colors in the
Klingon language seem to be black, white, red, and not-red. A high rod-to-cone
ratio would indicate trouble differentiating colors and sensitivity to motion.
Fair trade, in this case.
     I also suspect from the pronunciation guide that the Klingon tongue is
about half an inch shorter than the Terran tongue ...but that's a story for
another time.

If I had a swordfish, I'd share it with you./ David Wood has opinions,
But this is a halibut and IT'S ALL MINE!   / but very few people care.
And ask me about THE ONE-ARMED PAPER HANGERS and PORT ROYAL! May31-Jn2

Back to archive top level