tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 28 17:36:35 1995

Re: A test (cha'logh jIjang)

>>  maH chaHbogh maHbe'
>
>> How do you (pl.)[1] interpret that?
>
> I interpret it to be three Klingon words mashed together. It kind of means,
> "We are not the 'we' who they are." This is incredibly ugly. You are
> hammering away at the verb "to be", which the Klingon language barely
> supports and a Klingon certainly would never apply this much focus on such
> mess.
>
> The Klingon mind wants to see something happen. What exactly is happening
> in your sentence? What purpose or mission is being served? Where is honor?
> Why would any Klingon bother with those three words? It is as bad as "taH
> pagh taHbe'", which is the worst thing Okrand ever wrote.
>
> charghwI'

Does this mean the Klingon mind has no capacity for extending itself? The
original sentence in English, 'We are not who we are', was not
particularly nice, but that did not make it a bad sentence. I refuse to
believe that Klingons are so intellectually bankrupt as to disallow any
deviation from their established language. The language of the warrior
must be flexible. Combat situations are anything but staid. And if the
language must be used in odd or ugly ways to say unusual things, then so
be it.

> begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
> M>)\^(@P-`0:0" `$```````!``$``0>0!@`(````Y 0```````#H``$-@ 0`
> <[\.7O;H!'@`]``$````%````4D4Z( `````/GP`'

What the hell is -this-, by the way? :)

>> "We are not they who are we?"  Bleah.
>
>> qatlh mu'tleghvetlh taQ DaghItlhqang jay'?
>
> qaQochbe'qu'. DaHjaj nuqDaq lengtaH tlhIngan puqpu'? nuq ghojmoH vavpu'
> SoSpu' je? QublaHbe'law' jatlhwI' chu'. veQ lujatlhtaH. Qu'vatlh! HeghDI'
> SuvwI'pu' HaghtaH qoHpu'vam!
>
>> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj
>
> charghwI'

When the fighters die, these fools continually laugh?

jIbelbe'. ngong tlhInganpu' chu'  ghItlhtaHvIS 'e' bochaw'qangHa'chugh,
Heghpu' Holvam. mu'tlheghmey motlhbe' vIghItlhmeH tera'ngan Hol
vIlo'nIS'a'? tera'ngan Hol lI' law' tlhIngan Hol lI' puS 'e' bochID'a'?

[That second sentence is a little convoluted. What I wanted to say was:
'If you are not (mis-, more than just <be'>) willing to allow that new
Klingons experiment while writing, the language has died (already)]

taghqIj

    C /\ T
   F /()\ C  ...CM is ATMA!
  C /____\    ...http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~cthulhu