tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 27 18:13:48 1995

Re: tlho'taHmeH jaj

jIH:   >*USA*ngan juppu'wIj:

~mark: >qatlh jutIch? jup*wI'* SoH 'e' vIHarpu'...

jupra' jIHtaH vIneHbej.  QaghHeywIj boqImHa'laH'a'?

>>tlho'taHghach yupma' botIvjaj.
>
>I think I prefer tlho'meH yupma'.  Adding -ghach may not be a Bad Thing,
>but gratuitous -taH's just to add -ghach is cheap...

I guess I'm guilty of an overliteral attempt to translate "Thanksgiving."
In the clearer focus that time has given me, I see that I really didn't
need to conform quite so closely to the word itself.  It is, after all,
a *name*.  If I want to translate it, I should describe it clearly; if I
want to keep the name, I shouldn't translate it.