tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 25 09:43:59 1995

Re: jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch

At 05:13 20-11-95 -0800, you wrote:

>I'm new to this list, so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Christoph
>Pfisterer and I'm from Dresden, Germany. I chose my Klingon name to be
>"bIQHurgh", translatable as "dark water".

Thanks. I've just added you to my list of Klingon names. Welcome aboard!

>I've written yet another a "translation" (just does the looking up for you,
>actually) program.

Oh no, not another one...? <grin>
I've written one as well, as seem to have done quite aa lot of people.

>It's called pojwI'

Oops. Wasn't there already a program like this called pojwI'?
Luckily my program is simply called tlhIngan (TLHINGAN.EXE, MS-DOS only).

>I've also got a question: is it common practice to create compound nouns on
>your own, or are we limited to the noun-noun construction? Well, the
>question actually turns out to be >should I make my program recognize
>"newly formed" compound nouns?<

I recently added this to my program. It only recognises words made from two
nouns that are in the noun list of the program, but only if both nouns don't
have any suffixes attached. So Holtej is recognised as "language+scientist",
but Holtej'a' (for instance) is not recognised at all. I can live with this
for now (and I wrote the program for myself, so).

Qapla'
peSHIr

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level