tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 13:57:20 1995

Re: vocabulary

On  8 Nov 95 at 13:03, Mark J. Reed <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm going ahead
> and submitting my opinions; but they are just that - my opinions. End
> disclaimer. :)

Yeah, me too.

> Adam Walker <[email protected]> writes:
> > There are several words (concepts) which I have come across which i
> > am unsure how to express.
> >
> > light as a noun
> One might deduce from the noun {maSwov} "moonlight", which obviously
> derives from {maS} "moon" and {wov} "to light", that "wov" is
> itself usable as a noun - but that's treading on thin ice.
I thought we finally got wov (n) from the Hallwark commercial: "wov
Qapchu'..."? Am I mistaken?

> > lava
How about jeDbogh qul with the jeD implying the liquid state of the
fire?

> > What kind of
> > animals and plants do we know of that originate on the homeworld other
> > than the targh and Qogh (BTW what exactly is a Qogh).  Do they have
> > bird or reptile analogs?

TNG introduced the Sark and Zark, Klingon riding animals (not shown),
 and a novel called Dwellers of the Crucible (I'm told) had a bird
called a cherwItlh in it. Aside from that, we have 'er, Qogh, to'baj,
chemvaH and Qa' of which we know nothing. Both ST3 and ST6 featured
Klingon animals, but without naming them. Other novels have added
even more animals (but since the majority aren't in tlhIngan Hol I
figure they aren't as useful to us right now. I only mentioned the
cherwItlh (sp?) because we have no other klingon birds).

> > Is pem Hov which appeared in the Sesame Street translation an
> > accepted general word for a sun?
> I don't know if it's been used elsewhere, and verse in general takes more
> liberties than prose, but it seems likely to convey the intended meaning.

I've seen pemHov used quite a lot in the list archive, and seems to be
accepted by most (Mr. Proechel uses juHHov, but I'm not sure he has
heard of pemHov).
I think a list of translations that are generally
accepted for terms like this should be posted somewhere so that
people don't keep butting their heads against them...

> Mark J. Reed

                   maSqa'
    "Had I not known that I was dead already,
    I would have mourned the loss of my life"
                          -Ota Dokan
 (written while a knife protruded from his chest)

Back to archive top level