tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 05 11:10:08 1995

Dutch Language: To Be/Exist/Live (was Re: Suppletion)

Having been brought up in Belgium for 13 years - I have noticed more than a
little
confusion in the interchange from Dutch to English.  For Example "Then" and
"Than"
are both Dan (Location).  The problem is often caused by the interchange of
words
which have different meanings or don't have the same meaning any more.  The
problem
is the same in French and dutch which have a variety of tenses, to indicate
whether something is happening at this moment, in the near future, distant
future,
a possible future, may have happened, did happen or should have happened, etc.

Wat zeg je. ("What say you - What do you say")

Ik versta je niet ("I understand you not" - or "I don't understand you")

Ik ben een buitenlander.                "I am foreigner.
Excuzeer mij A.U.B.(Als het Uw Belief)  "Excuse me please (If it you pleaseth)"
which converted into proper english means "Please excuse that I'm a foreigner."
: "Wat was was voor was was
>>>was? Voor was was was, was was is."   ;-)

ben = Are (Present tense)
was = were (past tense)         NOTE: waar = where
zal zijn = shall be (Future direct tense)
OR      zullen zijn = will be
zou zijn (shall/would have been - Indirect future tense)

That usage does not make alot of sense in Dutch.

P.S. "was" also translates as "wash" from the verb "wassen" ("Washing")

To be or not to be.  That is the question ...  is usually in Dutch

"Zijn of niet te zijn.  Dat is het vraag."

Maar ik heb vaak "Wezen" of "Leven" gehoord in plaats van "Zijn" in Vlaanderen.
(But I have often "Existing" or "Living" heard instead of "Being" in Flanders -
But I have often heard the word "Existing" or "Living" instead of "Being" in
Flanders.

>the verb being = zijn
>
>ik ben = I am                          ik was= I was
>jij/u bent = you/thou are/art          jij/u was =you/thou were
>hij/zij/het/er is=he/she/it/there is   hij/zij/het/er was =he/she/it/there was
>wij zijn = we are                      wij waren = we were
>jullie zijn = you are                  jullie waren = you were
>zij zijn = they are                    zij waren = they were

so Shall be = Zullen zijn (shall is)

Damon Matthew Wise
==================
Peter Wise (also Damon, Anny and Karen Wise, AUTINET, IRECON 5, the Star
Trek Co-op (Star Trek Conferences and Meetings (Ireland) Ltd), Irish Star
Trek Federation, Federation {Star Trek Fan Association in} Europe Society
Ltd); The Informal Baha'i Star Trek Society (formed at World Congress, New
York, November 1992);

Personal E-Mail to: [email protected] Damon Matthew Wise, Sys. Op. Toppsi
(European Star Trek E-mail Service: Star Trek Voyager; Deep Space Nine; news
developments, AUTINET Project; FEDENET; Irish, UK and European Fan
Information and news
Star Trek Post to: [email protected],
un/subscribe:[email protected]
to subscribe to the list send a message to [email protected]
with in subject and header, the following message: subscribe trek
[Firstname] [Surname] [E-mail Address]

Snail-Mail address, Tel& Fax#'s are not allowed to be distributed by ANI and
maybe other lists, however this address, Tel# is readily available from
Directory Enquiries for names Wise in Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland; or you
can search for previous postings by Damon/Peter Wise on WWW and Newsgroups
before 25/10/95, or request it from [email protected].
Anything sent to a list MAY be duplicated freely or forwarded to individuals
or other lists without permission, unless it is specifically stated
otherwise or personal post.

Back to archive top level