tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 02 00:28:49 1995

Re: Translation correct?

>qajatlh tlhInganpu'
>
>I'm a newbee in tlhIngan Hol.
>Trying to form a phrase, and wich to know if it's correct.
>
>[You (single) translate it into klingon] e.i. a name.
>{Damugh tlhIngan} looks nice.
>A friend advices me to write {Damugh tlhInganDaq}.

I have been working my brains to a frazzle regarding some of the Verb Pronoun
Prefixes, including {qa-}.  TKD p34 uses {qalegh} ("I see you.") as its
example.  So far, I feel that {qa-} means "I [act upon] you."  That is,
{jaghpu'vaD qanob} means "I give you to the enemies."  Therefore, I feel that
{qajatlh} means "I speak you"; not "I speak to you."  And, I would use
{tlhIHvaD jIjatlh} for that.

As to usurping the real grammarians place to answer the question of how to
translate "You translate it into Klingon," I offer {Damugh 'ej tlhIngan Hol
moj 'oH}

Qapla'

peHruS

Back to archive top level