tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 28 12:31:58 1995

Re: What's wrong with "which"?

> According to R.B Franklin:
> > To me, "which" is similar to "what" and "who".  "What" inquires as to
> > one of any conceivable possibility, "who" inquires as to what person,
> > while "which" inquires as to one of a particular group or objects or
> > persons.

for example:  nuH nuq - which weapon

On Sun, 28 May 1995 Brad wrote:
> Is our interpretation of the noun-noun construction limited to a
> possessive structure?  I interpret it in a partitive way as well...
> IMHO, TKD doesn't limit us to possession, and using the question
> words (if we expand our definition of "noun" to include them)
> in a noun-noun construction would fall into a partitive contruct.

I agree.  That is why I like the original idea.  OTOH, we do not really
know to what extent this is actually true.  Therefore, I do not count
this as canon!  I simply hope that one day it will be.

janSIy

Back to archive top level