tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 26 04:49:28 1995

Re: tlhIngan Hol 'avwI'

Thu, 25 May 1995 16:41:22 ghItlh David Barron:

><general klingon topics> vIqelnISchugh vaj <alt.startrek.klingon>Daq
>vISuchlaH.
>
>SHORT ENGLISH VERSION: Do we need a Klignon Language police to keep us
>on topic?

As long as the "off-topic" discussion are being held in Hol (to practice
the use of the language) I don't have a problem with it. I'd like to close
my response by reposting a few selected passages from the "welcome"
message:

*quote*
<...snip...>

The purpose of the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list is to provide a forum for
people to exercise their Klingon language skills. No additional
purpose is intended or implied. The topics discussed on the list are
essentially unbounded. In fact, the wider the range of discussions,
the better it will be for everyone trying to expand their skills.

<...snip...>

This is a Klingon mailing list: disagreements, conflict, and spirited
exchanges are expected and encouraged. However, rude behaviour towards
fellow readers or repeated comments in poor taste will not be
tolerated, nor will repeated failure to abide by the guidelines of the
list. Repeat offenders will be removed. The list administrator will be
the sole judge of acceptable vs.  unacceptable behaviour. The purpose
of these rules is not to limit discussions to "politically correct"
topics (emphatically not!), only to weed out the most offensive
messages and keep a pleasant, if spirited, atmosphere.

<...snip...>

There are basically two kinds of postings that will appear on this
list:

        - Messages about anything, written in Klingon
        - Messages about Klingon, written in English

Topics in the first kind of message are essentially unbounded, as
explained above. Talk about the weather, sports, history, medicine,
whatever, as long as you do it in Klingon. The second kind of message
should be used when you want to start a "meta-discussion" like: "How
do I convey the notion that I was doing something continuously for a
while, but now I'm done?" It's best that these discussions are done in
English so that everyone can follow them easily.

*end quote*

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level