tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 12:54:56 1995

young Klingons

before he  >>>> went on the E-D, or Klingons sure mature quickly!
And then live a
>>>Being pregnant must be a disadventage for a female warrior,
>>>being a child  must be a disadventage for any warrior. Perhaps
>>>the warrior race has  developed to get rid of these
>>>disadventages as quickly as possible?

>>>Riku Anttila

>>This would make sense.  Many animal that are subject to >high
levels of predation when they are small tend to grow >very
quickly.  Reaching large body size quickly is the >surest way to
survive.  Such animals are ususally born >more fully developed
than animals that are not under such >pressures.

>>The counter argument to this is that animals that are >provided
with a great deal of parental care are born less >developed, and
take longer to reach maturity.  It is in the >young animal's best
interest to develop at the expense of >the parent, being fed and
protected from predation, than to >develop quickly and face these
necessities on it's own.

>>If Klingons actually do develop quickly, this would indicate
that
>>(at some point in their recent evolutionary history) they >were
preyed upon frequently as young, and that the level >of parental
care is less that that displayed by Humans.

>>qo'ran

>Rapid maturation is indeed suggestive of predator/prey behavior,
>however, at least with terran animals, those species whose young
>mature rapidly usually have multiple  or frequent births, or
>both. (litters, annual mating patterns ect.)  The opposite
>fitness strategy is long term parental care and very few
>offspring, as with primates.  What we have seen with Klingons
>thus far seems to resemble both, as there is not yet any
>evidence of large family size on the  glorious homeworld.

>Lori Hatcher

Good point.  Klingons, so far, do not seem to display a tendency
for multiple births.  If we look at this from an evolutionary
standpoint, it looks more and more like we are dealing with
sloppiness on the part of the writers, and not a true reflection
of Klingon developmental physiology.

(BTW, I really need to go home and practice my translation, since
I really should be putting more of this into thlingan-Hol.)

qo'ran

Back to archive top level