tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 16 06:13:06 1995

Re: Best of three law'/puS

According to Steve Weaver:

> Mon, 15 May 1995 17:16:41 ghItlh charghwI':
>
> >chu'law' qechvam. not vIqaw. Meanwhile, I don't think we can
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>               nuq ngoDna'vetlh
>                   chomerta'

qayajchu'be'. <<nuq>> <<ngoD>> je bIH DIpmey'e'. (<<nuq>> 'oH
chuvmey, 'ach DIp Da 'oH.) nuq Dajatlhpu'?

> >make any expansions on the construction. My proposal:
> >
> >*rock climbing* *kayacking* je *mountain biking* je vInIDta'.
> >*rock climbing* QaQ law' Hoch QaQ puS.
> >
> >It's simple. It follows the rules we already have. It works.
>
>                    majQa
>                 muQaplu'bej  <- or is THAT "stretching" it a bit?

Qap - In "Okrand's notes", HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 4: win (a
competition) [presumed verb, though Okrand didn't bother to
notate this] "'To win' a competition is Qap. (If it's a
decisive or particularly gratifying victory, they'd say
Qapchu', even though that's a bit redundant.) In TKD, Qap is
translated as 'succeed, work, function.' To a Klingon, to win
is to function perfectly."

I'm having trouble twisting my brain around to figure out how
any of these interpretations of the verb Qap can have a person
as the object, unless you are considering yourself to be the
prize which is won.

Sorry, Steve. I'm not that kind of guy. {{:)> ["Ohhhhh, I'm a
lumberjack and I'm okaaaaay, ...]

>       vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay'
>                                           - DumaS
> vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
> Steve Weaver       [email protected]

charghwI'
--

 \___