tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 20:29:45 1995

Re: where-which

On Mon, 15 May 1995, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to [email protected]:
> >
> > How do I refer to something in one sentence which is a locative in another.
> >  For example, "I am in the room where the emperor died."  I know I could
> > break it into 2 sentences, ala <pa'vamDaq Heghpu' ta' 'ej pa'vamDaq jIH.>
> >  Does anyone have any ideas on a relative construction of this, or do we
> > just stick to the repetitive method?
> >
> > Brad
>
> Since we really only have license to build relative clauses
> around head nouns acting as subjects or objects, I think your
> solution is as good as any. Of course, in this specific
> instance, it would be simpler to say {naDev Heghpu' ta'.} One
> presumes that by the use of {naDev} you are currrently in the
> place in question. Still, that does not solve the larger issue.

What do you think about the following?

pa'Daq jIHtaHbogh Heghpu' ta'.  (The emperor has died in the room which
I'm in.) (In the room which I'm in, the emperor has died.)

I though it looked better than {pa'Daq jIHtaH Heghpu'bogh ta'}.

At first, I thought about {pa'Daq Heghpu'bogh ta' jIHtaH}, but this clearly
doesn't work because it can mean "I'm the emperor which has died in the room."

> charghwI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level