tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 08:19:22 1995

trefoil not! caltrop is!

So'wI' chu'Ha'lu'

Sorry to pick nits on this, but this is starting to grate and since a few
people are discussing this, I felt I had to add my 2 kopecs worth. I know
there IS a klingon "name" for it, I remember reading it, but I cannot
recall it or the source right now.

The Klingon Emblem (yay!) is NOT a trefoil (an ornament or symbol in the
form of a stylized trifoliolate leaf), but a heraldric caltrop (a device
with four metal points so arranged that when ant three are on the ground
the fourth projects upward as a hazard to the hoofs of horses or pneumatic
tires).

Granted we only SEE three points (which is how the 3-D caltrop is rendered
in 2-D in Heraldry) AND we have no canon proof of the existance of a fourth
point (unless one extrapolates between the "Honor" Trophy, which was a ball
with 4 caltropic points on a pedistal and THE now famous 3 point
"whatsis").

The trefoil is represented on the French coats-of-arms and on one of the
Boy Scout Rank badges (I've been out too many years and I cannot remember
which one at this time), but it looks kinda like a spear point with a
curled "hook" on either side.

I suck at ASCII art so I won't even attempt to draw them (Did I just hear a
sigh of relief?).

Well, my 2 cent worth, any (Duck and  cover, chargwI') comments, flames,
etc. welcome.

Your humble "nudge".

So'wI' chu'lu'ta'

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay'
                                          - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level