tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 09:58:04 1995

The real *TRUTH* about the KSRP

The truth has been withheld from all of you innocents. I feel it my
obligation to come forth with...

THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT THE K.S.R.P.

The real truth is that countless many hundreds of you have invested countless
many thousands of dollars in a project doomed to miserable failure, the
restoration of _Khamlet_, by Wilyam Shex'pir.

Actually, I'm partly kidding. It's not doomed, only delayed. But as one of
the principle, albeit truly superficial, translators of the play, I've been
recently faced with tremendous burdens. A few weeks ago our computer system
was infected with FORM virus, and several of our files were thereby damaged.
This included my copy of the Khamlet material. A tiny sadistic laugh from
within the bowels of our half-gigabyte harddrive ignited a fury in me,
compelling me to bash my rigid forehead multiple times against the most
convenient hard, flat surface, a technique taught to me by Kupma' CharghwI',
to relieve the stress that Tera'ngan society puts on us Tlhinganpu'. It
worked, except that a human-spirited depression engulfed my corporeum in an
apathy so stifling, I was unable to keep from shirking my responsibilities on
the Khamlet project, and spent most of my days resorting even to school work
and other such sacrilegious activities as an excuse.

But there were no excuses, other than my own inadequacy, and to some extent,
superficiality. I'm no good at this. Nick knows it. ~mark knows it. I know
it.

The virus set me back several stages, and so know I must revise sections of
the prose that I had already revised. I'm unsure whether I could ever
replicate some of the fantastic works of art I managed, like the five-way pun
in act five, scene one.

I'm currently revising (for the umpteenth time) act two, scene two. I had
once revised it according to Nick's comments, later to my own revisions, and
later to ~mark's, tho now it has been damaged, and much of the revisions I
make on it know do not reflect my own earlier revisions, nor those of ~mark.
Thus, ~mark's original comments have become essentially obsolete. He'll
probably want to go over it again.

It's very discouraging.

Very, very discouraging.

Especially when you know deep down in the grimy depths of your very own
inadequate soul that you don't measure up to the requirements of such a
project, as far as the linguistic ability is concerned.

I have to assume that I'm young and naive, and maybe that way I can get thru
it, somehow.

Right now I need somebody to slap some bloody sense into me. Of course, I've
needed that for years. I have no more respect here, but before I seriously
consider unsubscribing from a mailing list in which I have only a vague
interest any longer, I'm going to finish the job I started. All of you will
get your Khamlet. Maybe not the work of art that it could have been without
my muddying it up, but you'll get it nonetheless.

I have so many ideas for the KLI, but am not at liberty to actually do any of
them at this point, because of Khamlet. I probably need to crash once to
finally see what it's like on the bottom. Till then, not even my school work
will let me do that.

This is [you-know-who] signing off.

Back to archive top level