tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 19:33:20 1995

Strange New World Book

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 20:17:48 GMT-0800
From: andrewm Subject: Re: Strange New World Book

Feb 28 '95 the reason this took me so long to respond is I get so much mail I
don't always read it, unless I recognize a name.

Mar 2 '95 I made a mistake a few days ago and only sent this to Alan Anderson
when I should have sent this to the group.  My fault, the following is in
response to what Alan wrote on Feb 26, I will put more comments at the end, my
responeses to others comments on the subject sense then.

your points well taken, I know we are taking about the Christian bible, I guess
that 'human' was not really the best word to use. I have never seen a Chinese
or Cherokee transalation so I can not say much about that.

Yes I agree that little is known of Klingon theology (I don't think that they
have much theology, because you either die with honor and go ? or dishonor and
go to ghe''or) and I realize that they probably have just as many spiritual
beliefs.What I mean by Kling.bible is a book that speaks of their rites and
ceromonies.

My main point is that the Christian bible has very little if any relavance to
the Klingon life.  I do realize that not everything done in Star Trek is
logical, if it was the only race would be Vulcans. I honestly have no idea why
the Koran was translated into English except to study a culture better. This
book is not about Klings so we can not study the culture through it, only their
language structure.

I have not studied much in the field of legends so I do not have an answer. I
will accept Kling. students of humanity. But the way Trek NG describes our
history as people who are savage, slow, and that we have a hard time solving
political and social (same thing) problems, is not much different than what we
know of the warriar race. I do not quite understand what you mean by the Bible
involving our literature, I view 'earth' literature to be more broad than what
the bible has, I am not saying that the bible is incomplete, but that there is
much more to our literature than what is in the bible.

....Qapla'...
[email protected]

mar 2 "95
I would work on something to the effect of what I have described if only I had
time to do so.  Because the bible has been around for centuries, it is useful
to learn from one complex text to another (in another language).

I do not agree with the person who said that it is good to learn a language
from a context that people are familiar with(not quite your words). The bible
has too many translations in English for it to be translated into an alien
language and still be universal.  IE the bible being translated into several
earth languages.

As far as "my ethnocentrism" everyone can take it as they please. And how od
you (one person) view the Bible as not being Christian as a whole??   I don't
feel that a translation from another translation is very good either.

Is the Bible being translated from an English version such as NIV or RSV into
Kling.??  I don't have time to research and write any book about Trek or other
subject.  A kling. bible in English of KLingon either would be find, I would be
able to read English better, and of course I don't expect anything of the sort
to come from Paramount.  Sanctioned yes.

[email protected]
*I am not responsible for the way people interpert what I say.*

Back to archive top level