tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 31 10:38:39 1995

Re: }} yoD Hov'a'

[ yoD Hov'a' vIje'ta' 'e' tuj muDmo'. ]

ghItlh ~mark:
> ...If the meaning is "Because
> the air's (so) hot", it would have to be "tujmo' muD".  I suppose you could
> also say "muD tujmo'"/because of the hot air, but I like the first way
> better.

ghItlh tlheghmeQ:
> I think I got confused here because I was thinking of {tuj muD} as a
> unit. I see now, it's "because of the heat", not "because of the air".

Close.  It's properly "because the air IS hot" -- remember the verb.
{tuj muD} "the air is hot" is a sentence, and
{muD tuj} "hot air" is a phrase which acts as a noun.
If you want to use the sentence as a cause, you need to use the verb
suffix {-mo'} on the verb to get {tujmo' muD} "because the air is hot".
If you want to use the noun as a cause, you would use the noun suffix
{-mo'} on the noun phrase to get {muD tujmo'} "because of the hot air".

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level