tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 28 19:06:55 1995

Re: }}} Advice

According to [email protected]:

> "William H. Martin" writes:
>  > According to [email protected]:
>
>  > >  > nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej bIchepjaj.
>  > >
>  > > toH! qoghDu'lIj jej, vulqangan.
>
>  > bISumqu' 'ach wej pa' SoHchu'. jej qoghDu'lIj Dajatlh 'e'
>  > DaHech qar'a'?
>
> nuqjatlh?
>
> TKD p.49 - "A verb expressing a state or quality can be used
> immediately following a noun to modify that noun".
>
>  qoghDu'lIj jej, vulqangan.
>
> Thus was meant to say, "Sharp Ears ya' got, Vulcan",

What you said is a series of nouns or noun phrases with no
verb. "So! Your sharp ears, Vulcan." With the two words
reversed, you'd get, "So! Your ears are sharp, Vulcan," which
makes a lot more sense to me. To remain closer to what you now
reveal as your original intent, you could say:

toH! qoghDu' jej Daghaj, vulqangan.

You can't use a possessive suffix to replace the verb of
possession, which is what I now interpret that you tried to do.
I can see why you thought that might work. I even remember long
ago when I considered trying that, but it doesn't really work.

> [okay, I could have said, "toH, vulqangan.  qoghDu'lIj jej Daghaj"

Yep. And you would have been right.

> jISaHbe'.

vaj DayajHa'lu'chugh bISaHbe''a'?

charghwI'