tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 15:53:32 1995

Re: }}} Advice

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 14:18:35 -0500

>Alan Anderson writes:
> > [email protected] writes:
> > >  "Will all your worries add a single moment to your life?"  Mt.6.27
> > >        "rejmorgh SoHchugh vaj yInlIj ghur'a'?"
> >
> > First, {yInlIj ghur'a'} sounds backwards.  I'd say {ghur'a' yInlIj}.

>Well.  I wasn't asking for advice - I was giving it. :)

>AND, the life isn't lengthening SOMETHING, it is being
>lengthened.

Ah... I see.  I may have spoken too soon when I agreed with "ghur'a'
yInlIj".  It's a transitivity problem.  Does "ghur" mean "to increase
something else", or "to become greater" (and ghurmoH the other)?
transitivity is a known sore point in Klingon, so I guess this is iffy.

Taking it as transitive (as joel is), this works... the subject is an
implied "ghu'": that situation (of being a worrywart).  You could also try
"ghurlu''a'".

> > Second, getting bogged down in details, I like {SoHchughtaH} better.

>rejmorgh SoH.

maj! :)  Well-put.  And the suffix-order is wrong.

Hee... "rejmorgh" was one of the favored words at the qep'a'.

> > Third, I'd include {poH} to emphasize "lifeSPAN" rather than "life"
> > and make it {ghur'a' yInlIj poH}.

>Too wordy.

I think yIn works okay without yIn poH as well.  Especially if you make it
"nI'choH'a' yInlIj", making the length of time explicit in the verb.

nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej bIchepjaj.

~mark

Back to archive top level