tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 31 07:15:21 1995

Re: Word for `English'

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Niall Hosking wrote:
> Funny, I thought that English was spoken in many other countries apart
> from England...such as Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand,
> Canada, and...America  (ok, so it's stretching things to call what the
> Americans speak 'English').....
>
> ....(an irritatated Scot)

At least Star Trek has provided a continuous *imitation* of a Scots
accent!  Of all the various English dialects other than American....
I know I can't live unless I hear "mee wee bairns kenna take nae maere of
this..." at least once a year.  :-)

And Niall, don't forget that much of the Southern half of this USA was
settled by folk of Scots and Irish background.  Y'all come back now, ya
hear?  Reckon ya know whats Ah mean?  You mean to tell me we-uns canna
call our speakin' English?  Them are fightin' words....  :-)

Back to archive top level