tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 26 17:01:23 1995

Re: (n) orbit?

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, A.Appleyard wrote:

> > This reversing of word order between these 2 constructions, plus a fair amount
> > of individual verbs that <can> be used as nouns, seems to allow complimentary
> > ambiguous pairs like:-
> > {qum qeS} = V N "the advice governs"
> >             N V "a government which is advising [someone]"
>
> > {qeS qum} = V N "an advice which governs"
> >             N V "the government is advising [someone]"
>
> Since {qum} and {qeS} are also both transitive verbs, they would
> not normally be used as adjectives.  Therefore, these pairs are not
> really ambiguous.
> qum qeS.	He/she/it advises the government.
> qeS qum. 	He/she/it governs the advice.
> qumbogh qeS	"the advice which governs"
> qeSbogh qum	"the government which advises"

As a clarification to my previous post, these pairs are still somewhat
ambiguous.

{qum qeS} could also mean "the advice governs him/her/it" or "the
goverment's advice".  Likewise {qeS qum} could also mean "the government
advises him/her/it" or "the government of the advice."  You can easily
disambiguate these words by adding nouns or pronouns to indicate who is
advising or governing whom; and the placement of a verb in a sentence would
indicate whether these words were being used as a noun-noun construction.

qum qeS ghaH.		She advised the government.
ghaH qum qeS.		The advice governs her.
qum qeS qImHa'.		She ignored the government's advice.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level