tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 20 15:21:59 1995

About {pong}

ghItlhpu' charghwI':

> > ghunchu'wI' pong'egh.
>
> Well, verbs with {-'egh} can't have an object until Okrand
> explains rules he has not yet revealed. Then again, he has not
> explained the verb {pong} yet, either, since it generally needs
> two objects, and we don't know how to do that in Klingon.
>
> charghwI'

In English, "I name him George" and "I give the name George to him" are
equivalent. Does this not suggest that in order to translate the sentence into
Klingon, "George" would be the direct object and "him" the indirect object? TKD
includes directions for indirect objects. Why not just treat {pong} like any
other verb which takes an indirect object?

tlhIyQa

Back to archive top level