tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 20 09:31:17 1995

Re: Song transcription

>Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 11:44:53 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>On Thu, 19 Jan 1995 09:46:40 -0500 David E G Sturm <[email protected]> wrote:

><... snipped ...>
>>....  Particularly if B'elanna Torres starts singing Klingon opera
>(doubtful).

Hey, B'elanna may hate her Klingon side... but that may not be so bad.
Nothing gets people to talk about a culture (especially in the
Trek-writers' minds) so much as having a conflict and having to deal with
it.  I'm sure eventually we'll have some episodes of her coming to grips
with her Klingon side, and I bet we can get Paramount to use us for that.

>vIta'pu'be' !!!      <- ba'rD puqloD SImp tlhInganta'

I probably have to comment on this.  For one thing, I personally never
liked transliterations that break Klingon phonology.  No known Klingon word
ends in a consonant-cluster like -'rD (which I can't even pronounce) or
-mp.  The only word- or syllable-final consonant clusters known are -w',
-y', and -rgh.  And you should try to flag transliterations, so people
don't try to look them up.  Moreover, ignoring that, if you translate
"Simpson" as "Son of Simp", you have the word-order backwards: it's "*SImp*
puqloD".  Think of it as English "Simp's son" without the 's.

But the most important thing that you did was pretending that the noun
"tlhIngan" is a verb.  It isn't.  It's clearly listed as a noun, and nouns
can't take verb suffixes (you don't need the perfective anyway: he had been
a Klingon?  huh?).  To say "B. S. was a Klingon", you'd probably say
"tlhIngan ghaH B.S.'e'"

>Steve Weaver     [email protected]

~mark

Back to archive top level