tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 18 03:50:34 1995

Re: easy sentences

Well, I really don't want to turn this into
an endlessly ongoing thread, just want to make
sure some minor points

> > > "The wind was able to hinder. So one needs to be frustrated."?
> >
> > I wanted to say: "The winds turned unable to help." that's
> > why I used -Ha' - bad luck it's only a rover by name }}:-{
>
> I think that {-be'} carries this sense of negation enough to
> cover your desired "unable". What is the difference between
> "unable" and "not able" anyway?

Sorry. I should have emphasized "turned", i.e. a change of
state from being favorable to not being so. -be' seems to
simply state what it is like now - no matter what it was
before. However, my sentence could be misinterpreted
as "the winds were able to turn unhelpful", which is
not what I meant.

> > This would mean, that you set out to do it, but the wind
> > spoilt it, right? I understand the original, that because
> > of the weather you didn't even start to do it.
>
> I guess I don't get it. Whether the wind spoils an attempt to
> execute, or that it spoils an attempt to start to execute,
> either way, we are unlucky.

probably my problem in expressing what I meant :-(
I try again:
1. you go out on the hunt and _while_you're_at_it_,
   the weather turns bad (not what I was going to
   say)
2. you planned to go hunting, but _before_you_could_
   leave_ the weather turned bad (that's what I
   wanted to say)

However, I think I see now the major points, I
wanted to have made clear to me.

qatlho'qu'
			Marc 'Doychlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany