tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 17 12:56:37 1995

Re: Conversational Klingon

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 20:41:39 -0500
> >Originator: [email protected]
> >From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

> >The second word is {jagh}. "The enemy is approaching."
>
> I always thought it was "chaH": they are approaching us.

I'm going by the printed English translation that came with my
"holodome", a water-filled glitter ball with flashing lights
illuminating a Klingon Bird of Prey. Press the magic button on
the back and it plays the intro to CK with movie music
background. A card came with it with the English translation,
but no written Klingon. This line is, "The enemy is
approaching," so while it sounds very much like {chaH}, I think
it must be {jagh}.

> >> maj maHegh. cha yIghuS!		We will die well. Ready torpedoes!
>
> >That's {batlh maHegh.} "We will die with honor!"
>
> I thought it was "vaj maHegh": So, we die.  But I may be misremembering.

Similarly, this is "We will die with honor!" Actually, I'll
double-check. I think it was, "!@#$ Then we will die with
honor!" which would be {Qu'vatlh! vaj batlh maHegh}, but I
don't think there are quite that many syllables, so if either
{vaj} or {batlh} needs to be dropped, my money rides on keeping
{batlh}. The enunciation there is bad enough that it could be
quite easy to mistake {batlh} for {vaj}.

> ~mark

charghwI'
--

 \___