tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 11 23:43:44 1995

Re: HolQeD 3.4. -wI'

David Barron jabbI'IDvam wIHevpu':
> My main concern is with putting -wI' on stative verbs like / chISwI' / to
> mean "white person".
>
> Yes, Prochel is correct in saying that the list of Klingon affixes at the
> end of TKD says / -wI' / can mean "one who is."  But I would think this
> MIGHT be an oversight on Okrands part. *OR* it is an oversight that
> Okrand didnt mention it when describing / -wI' / in 4.1.9  and 3.2.2.
>
> Either way I want to be certain.

chIS means "to be white", so one who "does be white" is
someone who "is white", no?

I think, that's the reason why "one who is" doesn't appear
in 4.1.9 and 3.2.2. That it appears in the list of suffixes
might be for convenience.

			Marc 'Doychlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany