tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 08 04:34:55 1995

Re: grip, grasp, hold

David Barron asks:
> now how would I say "the prisoner grabbed the knife by the blade."
> taj HeH ghaj qama ghopDaq.
> Something like that i guess...

chargwI' has already pointed out that -Daq is misused here.  His
{taj HeH ghaj qama ghop} = "The prisoner's hand possesses the knife's edge"
is okay, but the word "grab" implies an action, and "possess" is static.
I suggest {ghajchoH} as a closer translation.  TKD p.37 says this shows
"...that the action described by the verb involves a change of some kind
from the state of affairs that existed before the action took place."
I also infer a quickness of action in your sentence, so I'd say
{nom taj Heh ghajchoH gama ghop.}
Whether or not it is an accurate literal translation, it seems to say what
you're trying to express.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level