tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 16:16:36 1995

RE: pongmemwIj yIleghqa'

At 14:24 15-12-95 -0800, you wrote:

>I am honored that you have included my name on your list.

It's fun the see people reacting like this and it's nice to be the keeper of
the list of names on this list, but in fact I'm keeping the list just
because it's easy for myself; my Klingon interpreter program works with it,
so when I use that to help me translate Klingon off this list, I can also
(automatically) translate the names.

>As an additional feature to your list, I thought it might be interesting to
>include a brief description on how each member came to choose their name.
>This would be of great benefit for new members who have yet to choose a
>name.

I agree, but as I said above, I'm not keeping this for this purpose. You can
see that by the format of it (simple comma delimited ascii, easy to read in,
and terminated with the pair @@@,@@@).

>As for myself, "HoS'etlh" (sword of power) was chosen to show my interest
>in tlhIngan martial traditions, with emphasis on the betleh. The name is
>made from joining two nouns, "HoS" (strength, power) and " 'etlh" (sword).

There is someone else on this list that is keeping a list of names with "The
Making Of" stories with that. It's not the reason I started my list, to be
frank, and because someone else was already keeping scores on these stories
about why people choose their name, I didn't want (and actually still don't
want) to included that kind of information in my list.

>I would be very interested in hearing how others chose their name.

It would be nice to hear, but not to get this kind of info every time you
look up a name in my program. You then just want to know their "real name"
(and maybe email address, so I did add that). And, as I said, someone is
already keeping track of that, I believe.

Qapla'
peSHIr
          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level