tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 13:14:21 1995

Re: Crispin`s Klingon

On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, David Barron wrote:

>  > > lam be'        "Silence, you lam be'!"
>  >
>  > Now this is puzzling.  /lam be'/ is "(the) female is dirty."
>
>  But <lam> is also a NOUN. So "Dirts woman" or "Woman of dirt" isn't
>  TOO bad.
>
>  Or am I missing something (again)

heh.  I had forgotten that /lam/ is also a noun.  I use the verb
frequently when talking to my son, particularly when it's time to
change his diaper ;).  Still, /lam be'/, "dirt's woman", I'm not sure
what that would mean.  "Woman of dirt" is a completely different
meaning, something like "woman made of dirt".

With /lam/ as noun or verb, I just don't get this.  Sure does sound
like an epithet though.

>  > --Holtej
>
> david

--Holtej