tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 11:55:49 1995

Re:qaqIHneS! - corrections:-)

Sat, 16 Dec 1995, ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

> yoDtargh writes:
> >> qatlho'. vum maj yItaH!
> >
> >{maj} is an exclaimation.  Here, you would use {QaQ} instead.
>
> I read {vum QaQ yItaH} as "[Hey, you!] Endure good work!"  This
> transitive meaning of {taH} isn't what I think he meant to say.
> If, as I suspect, it should mean "Continue the good work," then
> it probably should be {vum QaQ yItaHmoH}.

Since I offered to step aside as BG a couple of weeks ago to allow
someone else have a crack at the job, and since ~mark hasn't chosen a
successor yet, I was thinking "endure" was appropriate.  {{;-)

But you are probably right that {taH} is probably intransitive and
doesn't take objects.  On the tapes, we have:
{reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj} (May the Klingons go on forever.)
{reH tlhIngan wo' taHjaj}  (May the Klingon Empire endure forever.)
(Here {taH} does not have an object despite the anomalous O-S-V word order
found in toasts.)

But it's also interesting to note that Klingon has a different word to
convey the transitive meaning of "endure", which is {SIQ}, as in:
{'oy' DaSIQjaj} (May you endure the pain) (PK)

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level