tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 15 07:42:30 1995

Re: qaqIHneS !

>Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:48:08 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>ghItlh taj'IH:
>> pabpo'pu', tuHoHbe' ! :-)

>Here's one thing yoDtargh overlooked in his commentary.  Since you are
>using the imperative prefix {tu-} here, you need to use the imperative
>"rover" {-Qo'} instead of {-be'}: {tuHoHQo'!}  (See TKD 4.3, page 47.)

Not quite.  The author is not necessarily speaking imperatively here; after
all, there's the indicative prefix.  "tuHoHbe'" simply means "you do not
kill me."  Perhaps it's an expression of confidence.  If indeed it is a
request/command not to be killed, it has to be "HIHoHQo'", with the
*imperative* prefix.  Please don't forget those; they're there for a
reason!  ghunchu'wI', you know that!

I also wonder about qaqIHneS.  It's certainly a nice way to introduce
oneself... but only to one other person.  There are a lot of us here
(unless you're all just pseudonyms I use to confuse newcomers), so it
should be "SaqIHneS."

>When I first introduced myself on this list, I used the word {qIH} also.
>I was told that it's usually interpreted as referring to a face-to-face
>encounter.  I think {lIH} "introduce" would be more appropriate here.

Probably.

~mark

Back to archive top level