tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 07:44:07 1995

Re: KLBC: starting right back at the beginning :)

>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 05:45:04 -0800
>From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>

>> jIQongtaHvIS chay' jIHaDtaH 'e' vIghojnIS

>So, this comes out as "I need to learn that while I sleep how do i
>study."  We have a term for this in linguistics: "word salad."  (Okay,
>maybe it's just my department of linguistics.  ;) It's almost so bad
>that it's like a bunch of words that have been tossed around.  "The cat
>the dog the cow kicked bit meowed." and so on.

Not necessarily.  If you keep the scopes correct (and they're ambiguous,
but hey, ambiguity is part of Klingon), you get "How do/can I study while I
sleep?  I need to learn that," which is pretty understandable.  Still I
think it works very well without the "chay'", which also avoids your
problem.  It's just "I need to learn to study while I sleep."

~mark

Back to archive top level