tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 12 09:54:16 1995

Re: Attn: Klingons in Europe

Next time I'm tired and am returning from a break from Klingon, I will
not post.... :/

> >*Ireland*DaQ vISuch vIneHbejtaH!
>
> -Daq, not -DaQ.  DaQ means "ponytail".

I don't know what happened to me yesterday (I'm not even going to reply
to your assessment of my "you've made your bed, now lie in it"
translation, not because I'm crushed ;) , but because it was so bad I
need to go over it in detail)... I think I must have been so deliriously
happy to have found my TKD again that my eagerness went to my head and I
couldn't stop myself from using capital Qs everywhere I turned. *sigh*.

> And if you have "-Daq", then use
> jISuch, not vISuch.  You can "visit Ireland" (in which case Ireland is the
> object of the verb) or "visit [intransitively] *in* Ireland" (in which case
> the verb has no object).

This is actually something that occurred to me when I wrote this. How do
we know which verbs in Klingon are transitive and which are intransitive?
While writing, I found myself wishing that Okrand had included
information of this type in TKD. While I was just being dense with "to
visit" (it's obviously transitive, as I said, I wasn't with it
yesterday), some others aren't so clear-cut. I dimly remember seeing
threads about this before, sorry if this is running over the same ground
again.

> >qaqIHlaHchugh vaj jIQuchQu'!
>
> -qu', not -Qu'.  Try to keep them straight.

Maybe it was something in my breakfast cereal :/

Darn, there goes my exuberance ;)

vanya.

Chris Atherton
[email protected]