tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 19:49:45 1995

Re: Klingon on Internet Relay Chat

maSqa' writes:
>*Maine*Daq SuvwI' bIr chaH Hoch SuvwI''e'
>(does that use {Hoch} correctly?)

I don't think so.  {Hoch SuvwI'} would mean "everyone's warrior",
and I think you wanted to say "all warriors".  The standard use
of {Hoch} here is {SuvwI' Hoch}, "all of the warriors".  I'm not
quite sure this "partive" construction follows the noun-noun rule
in TKD, but it's canon.

One other thing about your sentence bothers me.  You're using
{chaH} in its verb form in both senses of "to be" simultaneously.
{*Maine*Daq chaH SuvwI''e} and {SuvwI' bIr chaH SuvwI''e'} are
both valid sentences (though the second one is rather convoluted),
but I'm not sure the combination is reasonable.