tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 09 09:36:50 1995

Re: pronouncing tlh

In a message dated 95-12-08 05:07:07 EST, vanya writes:

>What works for me is to first make that sort of clicking/tutting sound
>(like some people call horses over with - in fact, the sound you make
>when you're trying to imitate the sound of horses' hooves). Then, instead
>of breathing in when you make it, breath out instead. Voila - tlh!

I used to try to use the TKD to explain the sound, but then I found a better
way.  I tell them "say 'at.'"  (Completely off-topic: is this the correct
place to put the period after "at"?)  Then I tell them to say "later."  Then
run the two together: "atlater."  They invariable say what any normal
English-speaking person would say: "at'later."  It's almost a glottal stop
between the two words.  Then I tell them to *really* run them together, and
then they make the {tlh} sound.  It works like magic!

SuStel
Hovjaj 95937.5

Back to archive top level