tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 07 10:00:11 1995

Re: KLBC: Federation Pronunciation

>    The sound should be quite similar to the Nahuatl "tl."  KLD even cites
>the Nahuatl "tetl" = "egg" or "rock" as an example.  (KLD says "Aztec."
>{sigh})  Nahuatl "tl" is a lateralized /t/, usually written phonologically
>as a lambda.  When I was trying to learn the sound in Nahuatl, I was told
>to hold my tongue in the lateral position as though I were going to say an
>initial English "L" and then say "T."  That procedure may work for some.

I don't know how many people have the same problem I had with these
directions, but after reading a few books on phoenitics, I realized that my
normal pronunciation of the /l/ sound is actually the "dark-l" (I don't know
how to write this using the IPA).  Starting from that position, you CAN NOT
make a "T" sound.  Having realize that, I can now (at least I think so) make
a decent tlh sound.  Maybe some day it will be natural, but for now I still
have to work at it.

Do'val

Back to archive top level