tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 04 08:44:35 1995

Re: KLBC: Happy New Year

>Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 23:06:18 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>>What is this 'intransitive' thing, anyway?
>>

>etmol balayla ani dibarti "What is this garlic thing?" vekibalti "shum davar"

"amarti" v'lo "dibarti".  You don't speak a quote, you say it.  Bilingual
puns are a lot of fun, but considering that maybe three people on this list
have enough Hebrew to get this one, it may just have been the wrong place
to post it.

So you don't feel left out...  "shum davar" means "nothing" (not a thing)
in Hebrew, and "shum" also means "garlic."  peHruS says:

yesterday at night I spoke [should be "said"] "What is this garlic thing"
and I received "shum davar" (nothing/garlic thing).

*rimshot*

~mark

Back to archive top level