tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 03 14:10:05 1995

Re: Klingon Language Roleplaying Game

At 01:05 PM 12/3/95 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Joel Nagy wrote:
>
>> a nine or a seven sided polyhedron does exist.
>>
>> A nine or a seven sided die does not.
>>
>> This is because in games of chance each side of the die must be of
>> equivalent shape in order to present the same chance of the die landing on
>> any side.
>> A six sided die has a 1 in 6 chance to land on any side a seven sided die
>> would not have a 1 in 7 because of unequivalent sides.
>
>Why not? All it would take is sides of equivalent area, if not equivalent
>shape. eg. for the 7 sided die, you could make it up of 2 pentagons and 5
>rectangles. All you need to do is figure out the right side ratio for the
>rectangles to give it the same area as the pentagon. Even easier: take an
>8 sided die, and change the 8 to a 0. Now you have a "7 sided die" <grin>
>L8r.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off let me tell you why I know you can't have an odd numbered DIE
(,but you can have an odd numbered POLYHEDRON; however that does not mean it
can be a DIE).

I have 5 years of experience in drafting
I have 9+ years of experience in Role Playing games
I have taken up to Calculus 3 in math as well as Probability and Statistics
courses.

It is IMPOSIBLE to have a die with an odd number of sides because of this
thing called chance.  To give each side a fair chance of coming up the sides
must be of the same Shape AND Size.

END OF CONVERSATION.
  0000   [                           |                                 ]
 0    0  [ Joel "ZER0" Nagy          | LCCC WebMaster                  ]
0   0  0 [ [email protected]              | [email protected]                ]
0  0   0 [ Klingon Home World Page   | Lehigh Carbon Community College ]
0 0    0 [ http://www2.itw.com/~zer0 | http://lib3.lccc.edu            ]
  0000   [0-0-[it's the # '0' not the capital 'o' in the name zer0]-0-0]

Back to archive top level