tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 28 12:14:37 1994

Re: Pronunciation (Was: Re: KLBC: jItagh)

R.B. Franklin wrote

>On Wed, 28 Sep 1994, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
>
>> There are several places of articulation --- that is, where in the mouth the
>> constriction is, which is where the sound is being made:
>
>> Alveolar: s, z, t, d.
>
>The Klingon D is a little different though.  However, the description in TKD
>seems awfully vague to me.  "Halfway between the teeth and the velum" covers
>a large area.  Do you think he meant halfway between the alveolar ridge and
>the velum?  Is "D" what they call a "retroflex" stop?
>
>Also, how would you classify "tlh"?  Would that be a voiceless
>lateral affricative?
>
>> Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]
>

>yoDtargh

Those seem like exactly the correct conclusions to this linguist.  "D" is
retroflex; "tlh" is a voiceless lateral affricate.
George Aaron Broadwell, [email protected]
Anthropology; Linguistics and Cognitive Science,
 SUNY-Albany, Albany, NY 12222
"Unless one is a genius, it is best to aim at being intelligible"
 -- Anthony Hope

Back to archive top level