tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 21 12:50:35 1994

non-KLBC: The "wind Mariah" discussion

My inclination is to say that "the wind" is the Direct Object, and then
"Mariah" is the indirect object.  I thought I had a reason for this, but
I just discovered I don't.

What I'm sure of is that "the wind" is the Direct Object.  There's no
mistaking that.  You can find this out by asking yourself "What is being
<verbed>?"  The wind is being named, not Mariah.

Now it is also pretty obvious, IMHO that Mariah is NOT an appositional
structure to "the wind", but I don't think it really classifies as being
an indirect object.

One thought might be to (arbitrarily) say that the Klingon word (pong)
accepts the name being given as the Indirect Object.

A workaround would be something like:

SuS lupongpu'.  Mariah 'oHtaH.

Another (arbitrary rule) thought is that you simply apply the -'e' topic
suffix to the noun, to indicate it's the topic of the sentence, albeit
not the subject or object:

[Mariah]'e' SuS lupongpu'.

But, except for the workaround, I really don't have any other ideas at
the moment.  Other thoughts I had were to use other Type 5 Noun Suffixes
on Mariah...  Oh, here's another workaround...

[Mariah] 'oHtaH SuS'e' lupongpu'mo'

(Because they named it, the wind is Mariah)

...Paul

Back to archive top level