tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 15 07:24:02 1994

Re: 2 questions

Niall Hosking <[email protected]> asks:

>With:
>How do you say "with" in the sense "I hit him with a rock"?

There are a couple of ways that sort of work.

vIqIpta' nagh vIlo'bogh jIH.  "I, who use a rock, hit him."
nagh vIlo'taHvIS, vIqIpta'.   "While I used a rock, I hit him."
vIqIpmeH, nagh vIlo'ta'.      "In order to hit him, I used a rock."

I prefer the first, because I think it places the emphasis on the
"hitting" while maintaining a stronger link between the hitting and
the rock than #2 does. Others on the list prefer #3 because it
indicates the causal link between rock and hitting more forcefully,
but I think it shifts the focus away from the hitting too much.

-QumpIn 'avrIn

Back to archive top level