tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 13 18:08:49 1994

KSRP: Hamlet locales

Well, now that Hamlet is just about knocked off, there is one outstanding
problem: place names. The Klingon Hamlet is set on Kronos, pre-Kirk;
therefore, it makes more sense for the place names to be from the Trek
universe than from Denmark of the Danegeld. So:

Denmark: Qo'noS.
Elsinore: Klin (tlhIn); The Trek Encyclopaedia mentions it has showed up
in canon once as (presumably) an important region of Qo'noS.
England: tera'. England was at the time paying tribute to Denmark, and we
may excuse our Klingons a bit of wish fulfilment.
France: romuluS. France is where Laertes studies fencing and sows his wild
oats; I imagine the Romulans and the Klingons are still allies in this
time frame.
Normandy: remuS. This is where the swordsman Lamond who praises Laertes'
swordsmanship (according to the King, at least) is from.
Wittenberg (Germany): ? Where would a Klingon go to DuSaQ'a'?
Norwey: ?
Poland: ?
Since it is acceptable for the prince of Norwey to become King of Denmark
at the end of the play, I imagine Norwey should be a Klingon world other
than Qo'noS, and Poland should be some poor shmuck of a planet Norwey's
out to conquer. Any ideas? Non-canon (novels) are fine; the drama is soaking
with references to the Black Fleet. I don't imagine Praxis will be much use...

--
Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]
        [email protected]      [email protected]
        AND MOVING REAL SOON NOW TO: [email protected]

Back to archive top level