tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 09 04:06:57 1994

tu'lu' vs. lutu'lu'

I thought of something a little frightening this morning, and now it's
worse because I have a problem with the canon.

We use "tu'lu'" pretty often, at least I do.  And I rarely think about it.
It occurred to me that "-lu'" requires a "lu-" prefix for plural objects,
according to 4.2.5, and the PK phrase "to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh" for "stuff
toebadge legs."  This would imply that I have to re-read all my text
carefully and watch for things like "tlhInganpu' tu'lu'" and change them to
"lutu'lu'".

Then I remembered a canon phrase from the phrasebook: naDev tlhInganpu'
tu'lu'.  Oh my.  Is this a typo in the phrasebook?  A thinko on Okrand's
part?  Grammaticalization of "tu'lu'"?  Help.

~mark, confused Grammarian.

Back to archive top level