tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 07 03:21:39 1994

Re: The Big Word List

> Again, I must prefix that I won't make any comments that are included in
> the HolQeD article I have underway.  I'll just make comments on what is
> not right with your analysis, Paul.
>
> On Tue, 6 Sep 1994, ...Paul wrote:
> > My math was off anyway.  It's 2,541.  :)
> It is still off.  There are more monosyllables.

All the better to finish your article and send it in.
While I believe  we were quite thurough in our analysis I am eager to
see/read contributions from anyone else whos ideas may differ.

> > As for "abnormal vowels" and "ending markers"...  Those were just terms I
> > used to represent the trends in the language.  You will never find in the
> > TKD a word that has a "consonant" after a vowel+w or vowel+y combination.
> > The only one you'll find is an apostrophe stress marker.  Because of this,
> > I simply said that the vowel+w and vowel+y combinations were special, also
> [sic]
> It is not a good idea to invent "terms.. to represent the trends in the
> language" any more than creating new Klingon words.  Of course, the Vw
> and Vy combinations are special since the vowels are affected somewhat.
> Although, TKD is more trying to give Terrans a comparison.  It does not
> state that >ay< equates with the sound of English "eye".  It is merely a
> guide.  I leave it to experts in the area of the production of sounds to
> explain better.

Agreed. Changes have been made.>
> > There may still be some "bugs" in my grammar design; I skethed it up one
> > morning.  The more I think about it, the more problems I end up with.
> > Oh, the other thing I wanted to say was that if you consider y and w to be
> > standard consonants when appearing after a vowel, you have the problem that
> > no other consonant could possibly have anything else AFTER it.  In this
> > sense, the only two-consonant combinations possible are w', y', and rgh,
> > but rgh is just as easy to consider a special-case consonant.  Also of note
> > is that there is no ow or uw in Klingon (stress or not), which kinda breaks
> > the combos from the normal mold.
>
> I'm not at all sure what you are talking about by "grammar design".  How
> does this relate to the number of monosyllables?

I believe Paul was refering to Klingon phoneme sequences.

> As far as the possibilities of CVw', CVy' and CVrgh, various articles in
> HolQeD have described possible origins of these.  Inasmuch as I might
> groan at your description of /'/ as an ending marker, I groan even louder
> at your terminology of /'/ as a stress marker.  It's a consonant, a
> consonant, a consonant....

Noted and corrected. Thanks.

--
David Barron || [email protected]  ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
   Klingon Language Postal Course       ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level