tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 05 00:55:52 1994

Grouse, grouse, grouse (again)

I think that our beloved Captian started this thread around 10 days ago, but
I thought you all might be interested in a few numbers on list activity.
Last year (1993) in August there were a total of 89 messages posted to the
list.  This year there were over 974 messages during the same time period.
I'm sure part of that can be attributed to an increase in membership, but I
doubt there has been a 10 fold increase in the readers of this list.

I used to try to read all the posts and even respond to a few, but with the
volume of mail on this list, I find that if I miss just a few days, I feel
so behind that I bypass most of the messages with just a casual glance at
the subject line.  I also don't take the tme to translate the FEW posts
which are written in tlhIngan Hol.  As a result, my rather meager skills are
going downhill rather than up hill.

My point is the same as has probably been made (notice I haven't read all
the mail that built up), please try to keep your posts about things which
deal with the actual language, or write (or at least try) them in tlhIngan
Hol.  One of the best things that happened for my skills was when Krankor
was the grammerian and he decided that this english nonsense had gone far
enough.  For one month he posted nothing other than tlhIngan Hol.  Even his
corrections and suggestions on my and others posts were in tlhIngan Hol.  If
you wanted feedback, you had to wade through and translate it.  His tlhIngan
Hol is good enough and he can write simple enough so that a person only
three months into the language could translate and understand what he meant.

              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre
             |    |           [email protected]