tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 01 12:56:11 1994

Let Us Now Praise Famous Guidos

(If anyone know what I'm alluding to in the title, pat yourself on the
back. It would make a vajna' bom.)

I would like to take the opportunity to publically humiliate^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
congratulate Young Master Guido on his translation work in Hamlet. His work
is in every way commendable; literal enough to make sure that everything
goes in, loose enough to make sure what comes out is Klingon and not
English. And he reaches an austerity of diction which I (with my padding
in verse) don't attain too often. (Feel welcome to contradict me!) I would
not count my Klingon style alongside charghwI''s; I *will* now count Guido's,
and if anything, will count it higher (because Guido's translations are still
reasonably faithful.)

I'll upload the current Hamlet (57% done, if you include Act 1 Scene 1 which
Guido has just accidentally deleted; if anyone has any copies of it, Mark's
version, and charghwI''s redaction, they know where to forward it...) to
KLI.org when I find that upload is working; for now, this following SoQHom
should give you a flavour of what I mean. Think of Jean-Luc reciting this
to Q in Star Trek. Then, think how Worf would have done it (NOT Chang!)
I don't think it'd be far off from this...

Ham: [...] ngIm rur. toH, yagh Doj 'oH tlhIngan'e'. valqu' meqlaHDaj.
HoSqu' porghlaHDaj. vIHtaHvIS SomrawDaj po' 'ej le'qu'. Dol'a' jub
rurqu' HoSDaj. QI'tu' moch rurqu' yabDaj. 'IHchu'bogh qo''a'Daq
pupchu' mutvam 'IH. chenmeH porghmeyvam lam'e' tlholHa'moHqu'
'u'. mubelmoHbe' loD - be''e' je, 'ach bIHaghmo' jaS DaHarlaw'.

--
Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]
        [email protected]      [email protected]
            AND MOVING SOON TO: [email protected]

Back to archive top level