tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 01 04:01:39 1994

Re: KLBC: Similes

According to ...Paul:

> I don't think tlhIngan Hol has a very nice way of doing that.  To say "You
> are as greedy as a Ferengi", I'd be inclined to manipulate it to the
> following:
>
> "Because you are greedy, you are like a Ferengi"
>
> bIqurmo' verengan Daraplaw'
>
> ...Paul
>
> PS>  "raplaw'" is "be the same as" with a "apparently" suffix; I couldn't
> find a word for "like" or "similar", so I'm hoping that construct does a
> similar function?

{rur} is what I use for "be similar", since it means
"resemble", AND it is almost certainly TRANSITIVE, and so fits
this kind of sentence far better than {rap}, which is almost
certainly INTRANSITIVE. {rap} does not mean, "be the same as".
It means, "be the same". "Resemble" doesn't have this problem.

Meanwhile, you are talking about behavior more than appearance,
so {Da} is a better choice in this instance. It also means that
you don't even need the {-mo'} if you simply say, "You behave
in the manner of a greedy Ferengi."

charghwI'

Back to archive top level