tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 18 09:49:29 1994

Re: Aspect and "be"

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:17:46 EST

>How would you say "I was in the room." ?

>hypothetical --->   pa'Daq jIH.

>  Would this work, or is an aspect suffix necessary?  I know that in many
>instances you can render the "past" (in English) with simply just the verb
>conjugated.

Yeah, that works okay for me.  "pa'Daq jIHpu'" means "I have/had/will have
been in the room", which is not incorrect, but it's not what you asked
about.  "-pu'" is not the past tense; Klingon does not show tense by
suffix: it shows aspect, which isn't the same thing.  pa'Daq jIHtaH would
also be right, emphasizing the ongoing nature a little more.

>William

~mark

Back to archive top level